Friday, May 6, 2011

Its been a year already, can you believe it?

I just want to blink and be on the other side of the upcoming week.  Last Mothers Day, I sat right where I am sitting now and I wrote a post about the "boys road trip" with pictures of my dad and husband.  They were leaving on Mothers Day and riding their motorcycles up to Myrtle Beach to meet my brother-in-law for a few days of Bike Week.  Two days later, on May 11, my father and brother-in-law were killed when they were sitting at a red light and were hit by a grown man who was texting.  My family and I tell this story to everyone who will listen in the hope that it saves someones life.  When you are texting while behind the wheel of a car, NO ONE IS DRIVING THE CAR!

This year has gone by so fast for my family.  My sister continues to get up every morning and be an active participant in the human race but she has aged so much.  My baby sister, who used to be so happy-go-lucky is just a shell of her old self.  Her children, God bless them, are amazing young people and are doing the best they can do under the circumstances.

My sister and her daughter are coming to FL at the end of June and are going to Disney.  This is a huge step in their healing process because Disney was my Brother-in-law Jimmy's favorite place.  He even had a tattoo of Mickey on his arm!  They had a weeks vacation planned for last August to celebrate my nephew and Brother in laws birthdays but none of them felt they could go.  There is not one place they can not go in Disney and not feel his presence.  Believe me, I know.  He would always say, "When I die, I want to come back as a bird and live in the Magic Kingdom".

The hole in my heart is nothing compared to my sisters, I could not imagine the pain she feels, losing her husband of 22 years.  I only know what it feels like to have a parent, a healthy active parent, ripped from my life in the blink of an eye.  Not a day goes by that I don't think about my Dad.  He was my hero.  I hear his voice in my head all the time and pray that this doesn't go away.  I still start to reach for the phone to call him and remember, he's not there anymore and it hurts as much today as it did a year ago, believe me.

The other tragedy in this story is my husband.  He, too, will never be the same.  He is truly suffering from 'survivor guilt'.  He will be fine for months and than out of the blue, he just loses it.  We were in the DMV recently and he started to cry, my big, tough cop, just started to cry.....said he let me and my sister down by not taking care of them.  I tell him all the time, he did take care of them.  Just not in the way that he thinks he should have.  I cannot imagine what it would have been like if a stranger had called me that day to tell me they were dead or worse, if a stranger had called my sister.  That would have been devastating.  Steve staying in SC until the arrangements were made to bring our guys home.  Yea, he took care of them, wouldn't you agree?

Anyway, we are going to NY to be with my sister next week for this horrible anniversary and we will be having a Mass/Memorial Service said in their names.   Please keep my family in your thoughts and prayers on May 11th and remember, nothing is more important when you are driving as keeping your eyes on the road at all times.

I hope everyone has a very Happy Mothers Day and remember 'if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy!

16 comments:

Liz said...

Oh Jacquie...this one hit a nerve today and I wish I could give you a big big hug. While my situation is different (my father was not healthy and I am only 3 months into the mourning process), I still can't fathom the idea that I will never again have a conversation with him. I truly understand your pain.

<3 <3 <3

Ms. M said...

Every time you write about this it brings tears to my eyes - for everything you and your family have been through. For the pain your dear husband feels. I 100% agree he did take care of them & you... being there allowed you to get the news from someone you LOVE rather than a STRANGER. That is a priceless gift.

Safe travels. You and your family will be in my prayers. (((HUGS)))

Camille said...

It is absolutely staggering to me that it has been a year since your family's tragedy. I wish you and your sister a happy mother's day.

Sandy said...

I've been thinking of you as Mother's Day comes closer. I am still sad about all that happened.

I do hope your sister goes to Disney and looks for the bird that will show her that her hubby is still there for them.

HUGS during this emotional time.

Theresa said...

Lifting you all up in prayer. Love you!!!!

Catherine55 said...

I can't believe it's been a year already, either. My heart really goes out to you, your sister, husband and your whole family. You are definitely in my thoughts and prayers and I hope that your trip goes really well. xoxo

Stephanie M. said...

Wow Jacquie, I can't believe it's been a year. I will keep sending good thoughts to your family. XOXO

Sarah said...

Hugs and kisses jacquie... This hit so hard today, because I was hit last Thursday by a lady on her cell phone... Thankfully baby and I are alright, but it is looking like bed rest going forward. And your loss is SO MUCH greater than mine but i am so much more angry now that there is a personal connection... Which makes me gireve for your loss so much more. Lots of love from VA!

Shrinking Mommy said...

What a lovely tribute. I will think of your bil every time I see a bird tomorrow in Disney,

♥ Drazil ♥ said...

Every prayer I have is for you lately. I cannot imagaine the pain. And I want you to know - he is not just a bird in the Magic Kingdom..he is a bird everywhere - free, healthy, and happy...as he should be. I love you.

Kathy said...

Jacquie, I will definitely keep you and your family in my prayers. I feel so badly that your husband is being tortured with guilt over this. I pray that you can all get through this unhappy anniversary and stay a strong family unit and remember all the happy times with your Dad and brother-in-law. God Bless you all.

Karla said...

I am soo sorry. You have impacted one life today..... Mine!! I always text and drive, NEVER AGAiN!!!

I am getting emotional typing this, i promise, never again!!

Heather said...

Oh Jacquie, I totally need to give you a big Cyberhug! I feel your pain. I hope that your family remains strong during this difficult week. I think Disney will be healing for your sister as she will feel his presence again with her.

Andrew said...

Jacquie

they say time is the greatest way to heal ..... I really hope so ... 1 year has pasted so quickly ... I remember the post so vividly .. but not your pain....

my thoughts are with you

Andrew

Amanda Kiska said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Jess said...

I had no idea you went through this because I started following you just recently. I feel for you. I truly do. I can't imagine to lose 2 loved ones in one moment is so tragic and heartbreaking.

I lost my grandmother (she raised me my entire life so she was my mother) last year and Mother's Day was tough. I still can't believe she's gone and there isn't a day that passes that I don't think of her many times. I dream about her all the time and wake up only to find she's gone. I have also picked up the phone intending to call her and having to realize all over again that she's not there.

It hurts. I am glad you can spend this tragic anniversary with your family. That's important. And your poor husband did all he could do in such a situation. I know personally how hard it is to be the one trying to hold it together while making arrangements. It's awful.

You will be in my thoughts.