I met with my doctor today....5 days after surgery. The main purpose was to do my "leak test", yay...no leaks!...and to remove that blasted drain! Removing the drain was a trip in itself...very surreal. While it didn't hurt at all, it was the weirdest sensation, almost a suction type feeling as he pulled it out of my body. Good riddance draino!
He told me that I had an exceptionally large Fundus. ummm, thank you? He said that this is a huge indicator that I had a very healthy Ghrelin producing hormone factory going on and that even if we would have been able to reach a good level of restriction with the band, chances are that I would never have gotten to the "I'm not hungry" sensation that a lot of you experience. I made sure I asked him if I still had a large Fundus and he said that he 110% removed the whole darn thing! I can honestly say that since the surgery, I have not once had the "hunger" sensation. I was so worried about this too because you know, if there is a chance that someone could still have "hunger" pangs after this surgery, odds are that it would happen to me! But it didn't. He said without a doubt, if I am feeling like this now, I am home free.
He couldn't get over how great I am feeling and that I only had to take pain meds once when I got home from the hospital. No gas pains at all which was a miracle in itself! The best part? Knowing that I am a charts and graphs kind of girl, he warned me that I should not compare what I lost in the first few weeks with the band to what I lose now with the sleeve because I weigh a lot less now. He explained that I would be losing less weight BUT it would be a bigger percentage because of the lighter starting weight. Well, get this: week 1, 7 days, with the band I lost 7 lbs. Day 5 with the sleeve I am down 7 lbs! Yes, I realize I am on a liquid diet and that its expected to lose weight but I was on liquids last year too!
I realize I am not even one week into this new way of life but I am beyond ecstatic and I know that this was the absolute best decision I could have made!


22 comments:
How awesome is that?? Dr. D is a miracle worker!!! I'm glad you are doing so well. If anyone deserves it, it's you! :)
That's GREAT news! :) I'm so happy for you in your new journey with the VSG.
so happy to hear you report back on how great you are feeling. It is so reassuring to know that if anything ever goes wrong with my band there are other options out there that are realistic. So proud of you!!
What great news!! I am so happy for you. And the fact that you feel so well is the icing on the cake. All the best to you on this 2nd phase of your journey.
I am glad you are doing well... I hope you have a speedy recovery!
I'm so happy for you!
That's so awesome. I couldn't be happier or more excited for you.
I'm so happy for you. What a great way to start off the second half of your journey.
(((((hugs)))) glad it went well
That's great Jacquie, it's about time you got a break!!!
Hooray!!! So glad you're doing well. I've been thinking about you... and THANK YOU for the adorable baby clothes - they came yesterday and I love that they are "Mommy" clothes! Dennis's got some "Daddy" stuff from his boss, so now we are even!!! :-) Can't wait to see you in August at OBX.
That is a great checkup. I have to agree that if you aren't dealing with hunger now, you won't be in the future. I'm 8 months post-op today and STILL never feel true hunger! Such a blessing.
yay!!
What a great appointment!
That's awesome. It seems like the VSG is going to finish the job for you :)
Yay! Awesome appointment!
Glad you're feeling well and YAY on the fab loss! (Must go google fundus...)
Beyond happy to hear this! I did a whole freaking blog wishing you well on your surgery and couldn't get the damn thing to post. Blast! I love you and am sending all the best-of-health vibes! XOXO
Glad you are feeling so great!
I would say that maybe I have a huge fundus too and my ghrelin production is jacked up but I guess I would have to evauluate if my hunger is true hunger or if it's just head hunger although I do get hunger pangs often even soon after eating. hmmm....maybe I'll look into that. I wish I could get revised to the sleeve but insurance won't cover it and I can't afford to pay thousands of dollars more to get it....I think my husband would kill me! hahah
It sounds like you are handling this like a champ! I am so excited for you and really excited about the no hunger thing. I can't wait to see how you do overall but I gotta tell you, it sounds like you are doing amazing again!
Wonderful news all around!
I'm so glad the surgery went well and you are feeling good!
Wonderful!! I am so glad that went well and you are feeling great!
Post a Comment