Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Questions and a huge Thank You!

First...thank you to all who have stopped by to read my blog! It means the world to me and I really do appreciate it!

Second...3/24, next Wednesday, is my date! I cannot believe it. We are leaving for Mexico on Monday and will get there late in the day and spend the first night in a hotel. Tuesday is spent at the hospital all day doing the pre-op testing and we spend the night in the hospital. (Steve gets to stay with me while in the hospital.) Wednesday is surgery day and we again spend the night in the hospital. On Thursday I will be discharged after some other tests and we will spend our last night in the hotel. I am so fricken excited!

I have some questions that I hope you can all help me with:

1. Coffee - I have one cup of coffee every morning with 2 splenda and a splash of 1/2 & 1/2. That is it all day. While I am on full liquids, if I feel like having the coffee can I with 1/2 & 1/2 (or even milk would be fine)?

2. I know by reading others posts that there really isn't hunger during the first few days but I will be traveling on a plane for 8 hours on Friday two days after my surgery and I want to be prepared. I am planning on bringing a couple of chicken boullion cubes to add to hot water on the plane but what else should I have with me? I thought tea would be fine and of course, water.

3. Protein supplements - for pre-made I can stand chocolate Atkins shakes. Is this ok? What about protein powder? I'd like to have an unflavored powder to add to things to boost my protein. Any suggestions?

4. Liquid Meds - for those of you who flew anywhere for surgery, will I have any problems carrying liquid meds (tylenor, prescription pain killers) in my carry-on?

Ok, thats it for now but please bare with me over the next week as I know I will be coming up with more questions!

Thank you!!!!

17 comments:

Sandy said...

The countdown is on. So excited for you. On the plane, I would just stick to juices (like apple juice) and water. You probably won't feel that hungry for the first couple of days. I drank 2 mugs of coffee before and after. I take it black but also drank milk as part of my full fluids which started the day after surgery. I would just ask them at the hospital. The 1/2 and 1/2 might be a bit hard on your stomach for the first few days but milk should be fine.

So excited for you.

Janelle said...

Everybody's post-op diet is different so be sure to ask them these questions!

Good luck, you must be excited!!!

Jacquie said...

I just edited my post to include a question about liquid medications in carry-on. Did anyone have any problems with this?

thank you Sandy and Janelle!

Amy W. said...

oooh, that is a good question about the meds. My coworker just flew at Christmas and her son has prescription mouth wash and they let him fly with it. She said there are signs up that say something like if you can carry liquids if they are in a prescription bottle...

The Cozy (not crazy) Coconut said...

Hey J - I'm new to your blog and will read and catch up but I wanted to respond b/c I had all those same questions and so many people helped me so I'd like to return the favor! I also had my band placed in Mexico - so I can relate to you on that level as well.
Q#1: I love my coffee everyday also - and I used half and half. No problem. While its not a 'clear' liquid - I was just fine.
Q#2: I also traveled from Mex to the East coast (Virginia)and I brought crystal light - those mini packs that you can mix with water just to have some fresh flavor. I brought the lemonade so I could add a little to perk up the water. I also brought GasX strips-your stomach will just have those pains bc of the surgery. You will be glad you did. I also brought some cinnamon hard candy - just something to put in my mouth to avoid the dry mouth I felt from being a little dehydrated. I didn't even finish it - but it was nice to have something to coat my mouth and taste different when I felt I needed it. You absolutely won't be hungry. You will be amazed at that!
Q#3 Atkins shakes are fine - I had gotten those too. I prefer Premier Protien shakes from Costco - 30g protien in 11oz and only 130 cals. As for unflavored protein powder, I never found one I really liked but many people really like the unjury brand.
Best of luck to you and please feel free to ask me anything! I am so very excited for you!

I can tell you my biggest regret is not exercising regularly early on and not getting a fill sooner. Also, my advice is to track your food/nutrient/mineral intake (I prefer caloriecount.com - but there are tons out there). And to use the soup recipes that so many bloggers have posted. Amy W. has a great black bean soup one but there are many more!
I look forward to seeing your progress!!!

Amanda Kiska said...

I just discover Premier Protein shakes from Costco and they are amazing! I hated that the other types were so high in calories. About your questions, as you know I had my surgery at Hospital Angeles too. They gave me a perscription which I had filled at a pharmacy on the same street as the hospital (I had the driver who took me from the hospital to the hotel stop) for a non-narcotic pain-reliever that melts on your tongue. I had no issues taking them on the plane. I was not hungry at all during the first four or five days post-op, but I did go to the grocery store in Tijuana and buy some jello that I took on the plane. I also drink coffee with regular cream. I had a mocha at Starbucks in the airport in San Diego and have had one cup of coffee with cream every day since.

Anonymous said...

Coffee should be no problem at all. I would make sure you have gas x pills (strips didn't work for me and they gummed up in my mouth)crystal light and water. For protein shakes I recommmend dymatize elite berry blast shakes they are soo good and unflavored Unjury powder to mix into crystal light. Hope this helps.

Jacquie said...

You are such a rebel Amanda! And brave...my hubs the cop said "we are not going anywhere other than airport to hotel to hospital and back to airport!". Such a baby!

Amanda Kiska said...

Jacquie - My fella would have been the same way. Probably why I didn't bring him - lol. I bet your guy gets bored after a couple of days in the hospital and starts wandering around town.

I wanted to tell you too that two of the ladies that I was at the hospital with ended up having their surgery a day early so don't be surprised if they want to do it on the day you have your pre-op stuff. I'd skip breakfast before you go to the hospital if I were you.

Athena's Melting said...

Congratulations on getting your date!

Jacquie said...

I will be on an empty stomache for pre-op anyway and would welcome the surgery sooner rather than later!

Dinnerland said...

You're getting on your way! Yay... coffee with milk/ half and half/ whatever: go for it, I'd say.
I haven't flown yet with the band-- but I say bouillon sounds fine-- I'd just keep sipping along the whole flight, water, bouillon, juices... stay hydrated.
Good luck and keep posting!!

Lap Band Groupie said...

1. Yes to the coffee with anything liquid in it.
2. Peppermint tea is supposed to sooth the stomach (tea bags). Stay hydrated, especially before flying.
3. Atkin's shakes are fine. I didn't use any unflavored except the soy protein powder I put in my oatmeal.
4. Have a separate ziploc for any Rx's. Liquid meds are fine and make sure they're in the original Rx bottles with your name on them.

I gave you an award (see today's blog).

Sally Hamilton said...

Jacquie - I can't wait to hear about your adventure! Good luck. Anything food wise that you're considering for post-surgery, please go ahead and try it now to make sure you like it. You're going to do just fine. All these other comments have given you some fabulous advice but remember that this journey is unique for each person and be open to seeing what works for you.

Gen said...

Lots of good advice here...My experience: I was not required to go on clear liquids after surgery -(but I had to do 3 days of clear right before). So I was on full liquids right away and had both yogurt drinks and protein shakes. I like the Atkins shakes.

Coffee is definitely fine. I refused to give up my half and half, and no problem there. Don't be surprised if coffee is not appetizing for the first few days, but after that, drink it however you like.

I like the Propel packets to add to water. This would be good. Otherwise, the bullion - you will be fine with that for the plane.

What is your pre-op diet?

Gen said...

P.S. I did not get any liquid meds, but wish I did. I got stuck on a giant Lortab pill!

Jacquie said...

Pre-op is 2-3 days clear liquids.
2 weeks liquid
1 week mushies

Thanks for all the advice!